I had a minor issue when putting together a result source within my Search Service Application…
My issue was that the ‘Search Results Preview’ wasn’t working, in my case this was an easy fix.
Solution, Enable the ‘Search Server Web parts and Template’ on the Site Collection level within Central Admin.
I had an issue creating the Search Service Application in SharePoint 2013 – my environment is running the baseline 2012 March CU.
The error I was seeing was:
Unable to retrieve topology component health states. This may be because the admin component is not up and running.
I’m sure there are many reasons for seeing this error, I checked all the usual suspects around permissions, firewall etc.
In my case, it was because I had modified the NodeRunner configuration file to prevent the amount of memory being utilised by this process.
This file can be found in the following location:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\15.0\Search\Runtime\1.0\noderunner.exe.config
I changed the following in the config file:
<!– Settings enforced by the node runner itself. –>
<!– These settings can also be set using command line arguments with the same name. –>
<nodeRunnerSettings memoryLimitMegabytes=”500” />
As default, memoryLimitMegabytes is set to ‘0’ – unlimted…not so good on a below spec SharePoint DEV system.
My resolution was to restore the original value of ‘0’ – and to recreate the search service app – which worked perfectly.